This December we are delighted to be welcoming you back to the Behind the Cover Book Club.
Escape the cold weather and join us in listening to the award-winning book, Burnt Sugar by Avni Doshi.
Introduction to the book
Burnt Sugar is a love story. But not between lovers: between a mother and a daughter.
Back in her youth, Tara was wild. She ran away from a loveless marriage, had a brief stint as a beggar (mostly to spite her rich parents), and spent years chasing after a homeless ‘artist’ - all with her young child in tow. Now she is beginning to forget things and her grown-up daughter, Antara, is now faced with the task of caring for a woman who never cared for her.
This book deals with themes including: love, sex, memory, grief and motherhood. It is appropriate for readers aged 16+.
Burnt Sugar reviews
“A wonderful novel about mothers and daughters, obsession and betrayal”- Penguin Random House
“ A gripping and beautifully written book about a mother-daughter relationship” - Waterstones
Get to know Avni Doshi
Avni Doshi studied in New York and London, but it wasn’t until she moved to India, that she began writing fiction.
Burnt Sugar is Avni’s first novel. It took her seven years to write, and it went through eight different drafts.
The earlier drafts of the novel were inspired by her mother’s family, whilst later drafts of the book were more focused on the theme of memory.
Beyond writing, Avni loves good food, beautiful weather, empty beaches, a fresh blow-dry, interesting stationery and antique jewellery. She loves nothing more than spending the day in bed with a good book.
Avni’s writing has appeared in huge magazines including Vogue UK, Granta and The Sunday Times. Burnt Sugar is being published in more than 20 different languages.
Behind the Cover Book Club questions
- What was your favourite part of the book?
- Would you recommend this book to a friend? And if so why?
- What surprised you most about the book?
- If you could ask the author one question about the book, what would it be?
- Why do you think the author chose this title for the book?
- Which character do you like the best? Which did you like the least?
More books like this one:
Loved Burnt Sugar? Here are some similar titles to enjoy
- Saltwater by Jessica Andrews (Hodder & Stoughton)
- Holt Milk by Deborah Levy (Penguin)
- Motherhood by Sheila Heti (Vintage)
- Weather by Jenny Offfill (Granta)