COVID-19 financial support

Covid money support

Take our quiz

Read the information and watch the videos on this page, then have a go at our quiz.

If your financial situation has changed as a result of COVID-19, there is support available from Manchester City Council and the UK government. Here we explore some of your options:


Being furloughed means that your employment is put on hold due to the effects of the pandemic but you are still paid at least 80% of your salary through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. The government will reimburse your employer for this up to a maximum of £2,500 per month, in the hope that your job is secure and exists for you to return to as soon as possible.

Read the latest on the furlough scheme.

Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme

If you have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, you may be entitled to £500 from your local authority if you’re on a low income.

See if you qualify.

Universal Credit

If your earnings have changed and you are struggling to pay bills or rent as a result of COVID-19, you may be eligible for Universal Credit. This is paid on a monthly basis and is not taxed.

Your eligibility will depend on your income and capital – the value of your assets such as property and savings.

Claim Universal Credit.

Discretionary Housing Payments

This is an additional one-off payment from Manchester City Council to support residents with bills or rent following hardships resulting from the pandemic. It is for residents who already receive Universal Credit or Housing Benefit.

You can apply directly to Manchester City Council for support with bills or rent if you already receive Universal Credit or Housing Benefit from them.

Apply for a discretionary payment.

Self-Employed Income Support Scheme

This is a temporary initiative that aims to provide financial support to self-employed people who have been affected by COVID-19.

Check whether you're eligible for the scheme.

Council Tax Support

If you are struggling to pay Council Tax during COVID-19, you may be eligible for Council Tax Support.

Apply via the benefits application process.

Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)

If you are a homeowner, you may be entitled to financial help in the form of Support for Mortgage Interest. This is a paid loan, which you do have to repay with interest when you sell your home.

Read the rules and regulations on how you use SMI.

More topics