Encourage your child to practise their writing and talking skills by creating their own time capsule.
Use the suggestions below to create a bank of memories.This activity gives your child a chance to think about their life and the things that make them happy today.
You will need:
- Pens or pencils
- The suggestions below, which can be printed or viewed on screen
Things to include in the time capsule
Your child could divide their time capsule into the following sections.
All about me
- Favourite things – book, toy, colour, animal, TV show, movie, song, sport, place, activity etc.
- Best friend(s)
- When I grow up I want to be…
- Where I live
- Who I live with
- My neighbours and friends nearby
- My favourite local place
A letter to myself
Imagine you are writing a letter to yourself in 50 years’ time about what is happening in your life today.
The world I live in
- Price of a pint of milk, loaf of bread, stamp
- News headlines
- Popular films and TV shows
- Hit songs
- Big names in sport
Interview a parent or carer
- Ask them how life is different today compared with when they grew up
- Can they share a favourite memory from your childhood?
- What is the best piece of advice they’ve ever been given?