LinkedIn is a social network site for professional networking. It's a great way to look for jobs and volunteering opportunities whilst showing your work experience and skills to potential employers.
Top tips for creating a great LinkedIn profile
- Choose the right profile picture. A good profile picture helps you to stand out from the crowd. Make sure your picture is recent and just of you. Wear what you would wear to work or college and smile.
- Add a background cover photo. A professional background photo will help your page stand out.
- Make sure your headline stands out. Use your headline to promote an area of expertise, what you are currently doing and your future aspirations.
- Write a summary. This section should express your mission, motivation and skills to anyone viewing your profile. Keep it short.
- Keep your profile current. Make sure you add all of your relevant work, volunteering and educational experiences – no matter how small.
- Don’t lie. Be proud of your accomplishments and avoid lying. If you are starting your career, use your LinkedIn profile to showcase what you want to achieve and why.
- Add relevant qualifications. Include details of the school, college and/or university you have attended, along with any relevant qualifications.
- Add relevant skills. A list of creative skills will showcase all of your different abilities and help you stand out from the crowd whilst expressing your personality.
- Create your own personal URL. Once you are happy with your profile, you can begin sharing it. You can create a personal URL with your own name.
- Request recommendations. Recommendations are personal texts written by someone explaining what it was like working with you. Reach out to old colleagues or teachers and ask for recommendations.