Racism can be a difficult topic to talk about with your child. These videos, news articles and books can help you to explore race and identity together.
Watch and learn
The videos below share experiences of racism and how to speak out against it. Watch them with your child and talk about what you’ve seen.
Make sense of the news together
This article from BBC Newsround explains what happened to George Floyd and why it made people so angry.
It may also be helpful to look at our guide to help your child make sense of the news and cope with news that makes them feel worried or upset.
Black Stories Matter
Reading stories together can be a great way to learn about racism and equality. These extracts and book lists will help you and your child of any age explore race, identity, family and community.
- See Tàta Storytime where actors read beautiful picture books by authors from African, Caribbean and African American heritage.
- Watch Nathan Byron read his book Look Up! as part of Puffin Storytime
- Read an extract of The Proudest Blue by Ibtihaj Muhammad with S. K. Ali and Hatem Aly at LoveReading4Kids
- Read an extract of The Undefeated by Kwame Alexander at LoveReading4Kids
- See Ade Adepitan talk about his book Cyborg Cat and the Night Spider and get the audiobook free
- Read an extract of Clean Getaway by Nic Stone at LoveReading4Kids
- Read an extract of Crongton Knights by Alex Wheatle at LoveReading4Kids