This is a fun and easy activity to do with your child – perfect to fill a rainy afternoon or a quiet morning at home.
Help your child make a bookmark they can keep forever.
All you need is a piece of paper or card, and things to decorate it.
Step 1: First, help your child cut out a neat rectangle of paper or card. An empty cereal box works great for this!
Step 2: Next, ask them how they would like to decorate their bookmark:
- They can colour it in with pens or crayons, draw a picture on it, cover it with stickers or shiny foil.
- They could write their name on it, or maybe the name of their favourite book.
- If they want, they can make a bookmark for everybody in the family, decorated with something that person likes.
- Encourage them to use their imagination and get creative!
Step 3: To make the bookmark extra special, you can add a piece of ribbon or colourful string.
- First, help your child make a hole at the top of the bookmark.
- You can use a hole puncher, or just push a sharp pencil through the card.
- Then, show them how to thread the ribbon or string through the hole and tie a knot to secure it.
While you’re doing this, it’s a good chance to chat to your child about books.
What stories do they enjoy? What happens in their favourite book? What do they want to read next?