Why not use the We're Going on a Bear Hunt story as inspiration for your own adventure and making activity!
You might like to make a pair of binoculars for your adventure – an explorer must always keep on the lookout!
Make your own binoculars ...
You will need
- Two empty toilet rolls or kitchen rolls
- Sticky tape or glue
- String or shoe laces
Optional for decorating
- Coloured pens or pencils
- Stick the toilet rolls together
- Measure and cut your string so it is long enough to wear around your neck
- Help your child cut a small hole on the top outside edge of both toilet rolls
- Take one end of your string and thread it through the hole you made
- Tie a knot to secure and repeat with the other side of the string
- Colour in or use stickers to decorate your binoculars.
Go on your own adventure...
Now, you’re ready to go on a bear hunt… or maybe you'll plan your own adventure!
- Go out for a walk and see what you can find, you might want to pack a bag of supplies together first, you could even draw a map!
- Maybe you will choose to look for a bear, or maybe you'll be searching for something else!
- Talk together about what you find and the route you take.
Let your child help with the making, decorating and planning of your adventure as much as they can, it will boost their self confidence and get them chatting.
Good to know
Getting out and about and talking together about what you see boosts your child's vocabulary. When you are out and about there's always lots of new things to see and talk about.