Following a recipe with your child is a great way to learn new words together and follow instructions. Have a go at these terrifying Halloween treats and gobble them up at home.
You will need:
- 70g butter, softened
- 50g peanut butter
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 180g plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 20 peanut butter cups, Rolos or Maltesers
- 100g milk chocolate, chopped
- Icing eyes, or make your own
How to make spooky spider biscuits
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Ask your child to mix together the butter, peanut butter and sugar using a wooden spoon until the mixture is very light and fluffy
- Beat in the egg and vanilla
- Stir in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ¼ tsp salt
- Help your child to scoop between 18 and 20 tbsps of the mixture onto the trays. Make sure you leave enough space between for them to spread out in the oven.
- With clean hands, ask your little one to make a thumbprint in the centre of each of the blobs
- Bake your biscuits in the oven for 10-12 mins or until firm at the edges
- Leave to cool on the tray for a few minutess before topping each biscuit with a peanut butter cup, Rolo or Malteser
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely
- Heat the chocolate in the microwave in short bursts
- Scrape into a piping bag and leave to cool for a moment
- Help your child to squeeze chocolate from the bag to pipe the legs onto each spider
- Ask your child can stick two eyes onto each spider
- Leave them to dry and enjoy as a treat!