Christmas is a time for giving, so we're gifting YOU a list of the best Christmas stories for you and your children to enjoy this festive season.
This list of 40 brilliant Christmas books has been put together by National Literacy Trust staff members, competition winners and top authors. There are titles for all ages, so there's something for everyone to enjoy.
What are the benefits of giving books to children?
- Books are not only fun, they're a great way to help your child get better at reading, writing, speaking and listening, which are all really important for their future
- Sharing stories with children is a great way of spending quality family time together
- Books make children happy as they'll love having your attention, getting to know characters and build their imagination
- Reading a variety of books will help them get to know the world around them.
Top tips for choosing books to give this Christmas
- Pick stories about your child’s passions. If they like fiction you could try Wonder by R.J. Palacio. Or if they’ve liked one author, you could try another of their books. For example, is your child a fan of The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy? Then why not try reading Peace at Last or Five Minutes Peace, some of Murphy's other popular stories.
- You don’t have to spend a fortune on new books, many of the titles in this list are also available on Hive or you can borrow them from your local library to enjoy a special storytelling moment together this Christmas.
- Make it your New Year’s resolution to create a reading routine and spend more time sharing stories with your family in 2022.