Reading for at least 10 minutes every day is great for your child’s happiness, wellbeing and, of course, for improving their reading and writing!
Sharing a book with a child is fun! It's a time for affection, laughing and talking together – and it can also give children a head start in life and help them become lifelong readers.
We want everyone – from little ones and teens to parents and grandparents – to read for just 10 minutes every day!
Join the Take 10 challenge
Inspire everyone in your family to read every day for 10 minutes:
- Create a routine, set a specific time each day to read that works best for your family – you could be at home or out and about!
- Set a timer to help you all hit 10 minutes.
- Turn off your phone or TV so there are no distractions.
- You could pop to the library to find the perfect book, magazine or comic for you and your children.
- If you child is an independent reader, make sure you grab your favourite book to read as well to show them how important reading is to you.
More Take 10 fun!
Try something unique to get your family inspired by the Take 10 challenge.
- Set up a cosy corner or area in the house where you and your loved ones gather daily to read.
- Create a Take 10 reward board where everyone gets a star for every 10 minutes they read, and at the end of the week everyone can get a treat.
- Create a bookmark of your favourite book or character.
- Get creative with technology and set up a Zoom call with loved ones who live far away. What better way to share the Take 10 challenge with family?
- Why not go digital and try one of many audio books to stir up creativity with reading.
- Read a book as a family and then find the movie that matches it so you can watch for family movie night.
The benefits of reading are endless
Making time to regularly read with your children can help them (and you!) to:
- Relax and unwind.
- Escape from the pressures of life.
- Improve memory, concentration and focus.
Take 10 on your way to work! From reading or listening to a book on your commute to encouraging colleagues to read together or perhaps even setting up a book group – Take 10 is for all ages!