You, your friends and family may all have different social media apps and ways of communicating with each other online. You may know some of these apps better than others.
Most of these apps are for your personal use (unless you work in the social media department of a business) and wouldn’t be used to communicate with colleagues in a professional setting. There are plenty of communication tools out there for professional use. Can you name any apps that could be used by businesses?
Which professional apps are used across many businesses for communication?
The top 5 professional apps used for business communication are LinkedIn, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Google Meet, and Outlook. Different organisations will use a range of different tools to communicate both with colleagues and the wider public. Communication is key for businesses to create positive lasting relationships with stakeholders, funders and maintain a positive reputation.
Good communication relies on excellent reading, writing, speaking and listening skills which are developed throughout your education and early careers.
LinkedIn is a great way to start your professional journey. Remember, this is a professional platform and therefore any content you put out should reflect your professionalism. (Platform for 16+)
How can I be a positive communicator in a social media world on my personal and professional socials?
- Follow accounts/people that make you truly happy.
- Connect with others content purposefully and positively.
- Create own content with a positive intent.
- Anonymously report any hate! (This is important – there is no place for online trolls in 2022!)
- Use the correct language for your audience reading your posts! (Are you logged into your personal or business account? – remember future employers may check your personal social accounts too)
- Have time away from your screen and communicate in person.