These colourful friendship necklaces are easy to make and are a perfect way to encourage your child to get creative with their friends.
Threading the necklace is great for developing important skills too, such as hand-eye coordination, and perseverance.
You will probably have everything you need at home.
To Make your friendship necklace, you will need:
- Tube pasta (Macaroni or penne will work well)
- String or wool
- Food colouring of your choice
- Zip lock bags (one per colour)
- White wine vinegar
- Start by adding some of your pasta into a zip lock bag
- Add a few drops of food colouring and two tablespoons of white vinegar to the bag
- Seal the bag and mix until the pasta is brightly coloured
- Repeat for each colour
- Leave the pasta to dry on some newspaper or paper towels
- To make the necklace, start by cutting a piece of string, roughly 80 centimetres
- Tie a knot in one end of the string
- Thread the different coloured pasta onto the string.
- Once the string has been threaded with pasta, tie together the two ends of the string to form a necklace.
- Why not try making matching necklaces with friends!
Let your child help with preparing the pasta, they will be fascinated to see how it changes colour!
Encourage older children to make a pattern with the different colours.