Peek-a-boo is a fun game for babies. It teaches your baby important skills like taking turns, paying attention, listening and hearing words.
Make sure you play it when your baby is happy and relaxed. If your baby is upset or tired, they might not find it as fun.
- When your baby is laying down or siting on your lap and focused on you, cover your face with your hands.
- Ask your baby “Where did Mummy/Daddy go?”.
- Then reveal your face, smile, and say “Peek-a-boo!” or "Here I am!"
- Wait for your baby to respond - this may be with a smile, a body movement or a giggle.
- Try pulling different faces and changing your tone of voice. See if you can make your baby laugh.
- Peek-a-boo is a fun game to play when your baby is spending time on their tummy, which helps build their strength as they grow. If your baby doesn’t like tummy time, a game like this can help keep them entertained.
- Try playing peek-a-boo with a scarf or light blanket to cover yours or your baby's face.
Watch the video
Good to know
Simple games like this help your baby to understand taking turns while they are playing. This will help with their social skills as they grow up.