I Am Perfectly Designed is a story about loving who you are, exactly as you are, and a celebration of the love between parent and child.
Written by Karamo Brown and his son Jason, this funny story follows a boy and his father as they spend the day together. Walking through the city, they chat about all the ways in which they are perfectly designed for each other.
Watch the story
Ways to explore the story with your child
- As you are reading or watching the story together, encourage your child to look closely at the pictures and talk about what they can see.
- Think about the different activities that the characters in the story engage in and talk about times that you have done something similar, for example walking around your local area and looking up at the sky.
Use the illustrations in the story to talk about different types of families.
Watch Karamo Brown talk about the book
All about me play!
After you have finished the story, try these ‘all about me’-themed activities together:
- Explore baby photos: look at photographs from when your child was a baby. Talk about the people in the photographs and discuss how your child has changed.
- Memory box: find and decorate a small box and place items inside that remind you of fun times that you and your family have had together. This could include special books you have shared together, photographs, drawings and cards.
- Perfectly designed picture: help your child to draw a picture of themselves to show how they are perfectly designed. Talk about things that are special about them and what they are good at. Add these to the picture, for example by drawing a big heart to show kindness.
- Songs and rhymes: sing these rhymes about your body: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes, One Little Finger and Clap With Me
try these activities linked to the story from Macmillan Children’s Books, which include drawing where you live, creating a family portrait and thinking about the activities that you and your family do together.
For older children
Draw a picture or write a sentence about your favourite thing to do with your family.