Baking this delicious rainbow cake recipe is a wonderful opportunity for your child to practise reading and following instructions while celebrating Pride month!
You will need:
- Three 20cm cake tins
- Hand-held electric mixer
- Three mixing bowls
For the cake
- 360g butter, softened
- 360g caster sugar
- 360g self-raising flour
- 6 large eggs
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 40 ml milk
- Food colouring gel (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet)
For the icing
- 200g butter, softened
- 220g full-fat cream cheese
- 700g icing sugar, sieved
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Grease three 20cm cake tins.
- Place 180g of the butter into a bowl with 180g of caster sugar, 180g flour, 3 eggs, 2 tsp vanilla extract and 20ml milk
- Using a hand-held electric mixer, beat the mixture until it is light and creamy
- Divide the mixture equally between three bowls.
- Add red food colouring to the first bowl, orange to the second and yellow to the third. Mix well until the mixture has reached your desired shade.
- Pour each bowl of sponge mix into a prepared tin and bake all three cakes in the oven for 12–15 mins.
- Allow the cakes to cool.
- Repeat the process by using the remaining ingredients to make three more green, blue, and violet cakes.
- For the icing, place the cream cheese and butter into a bowl and beat until it is smooth.
- Add in half of the icing sugar and mix well. Then add the remaining half and mix again until the mixture is smooth.
- Place the red sponge cake on a cake board or plate and spread a thin layer of icing on the cake. Place the orange cake on top of the red cake. Continue layering this way, following the colours of the rainbow.
- Spread a layer of icing around the sides of the cake and chill until firm.
For more information about this recipe, please visit this website.