Writing a shopping list, finding the right ingredients and following a recipe improve your child’s reading skills. This recipe is easy to follow and child-friendly with delicious results!
350g / 12oz plain flour
175g / 6oz soft brown sugar
100g / 4oz butter
4 tablespoons of golden syrup
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
4 teaspoons of ground ginger (or less, depending on how you like your biscuits)
Icing sugar, writing icing and other cake decorations
Star-shaped pastry cutter (or other festive shape of your choice)
1. Adult: Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4
2. Child: Put the flour, butter, ground ginger and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl. Mix it all together with your fingers until it feels like crumbly breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, syrup and egg with a spoon until it makes a firm dough.
3. Child: Dust the rolling pin and a flat surface with flour. Roll out the dough you’ve made until it’s about half a centimetre thick.
4. Child: Using the pastry cutter, press down on the flat dough to cut out your biscuits. Place the biscuits on a greased baking tray ready for the oven.
5. Adult: Place the baking tray in the pre-heated oven and leave for 15 minutes until they are golden brown. Wait for the biscuits to cool.
6. Child: Using icing sugar, writing icing or any other decorations, decorate your biscuits with any festive design you wish!