We’ve teamed up with Siemens and Walker Books to help you and your family celebrate and learn about Earth Day, which takes place on 22 April 2021.
Your child can be a #2MinuteSuperhero this Earth Day and beyond. Help them learn what they can do to care for the environment – from recycling and saving energy to helping plants and wildlife.
Encourage your child to create their own bookmark, where they will write their own simple two minute mission that they can do to help protect the environment.
You will need:
- Recycled card/paper
- Colouring pens/pencils
Make your #2MinuteSuperhero bookmark
Chat to your child about the small things you could do together at home or in your local community to help improve the environment.
Martin Dorey, author of Kids Fight Plastic and Kids Fight Climate Change (Walker Books) suggests these mission examples:
- Do a two-minute litterpick on your walk home from school or at the park
- Make nature feel welcome in your green space by making a log pile for creepy-crawlies or setting up a bird feeder
- Superheroes wear jumpers! Put on a jumper – not the heating – if you feel a bit chilly.
Once you’ve chosen your two-minute mission, make a start on your bookmark. Check out our bookmark template for inspiration, or make your own from scratch:
- Cut out a bookmark shape (a rectangle that’s wide enough for your child to write on) from a piece of paper or card. A cereal box is a good option!
- Ask your child to write their name and their two-minute mission on your bookmark
- Decorate the other side of your bookmark with drawings themed around your mission!
Share your two minute missions and bookmarks on social media using the hashtag #2MinuteSuperhero!
Live author event
Catch up on our special live Earth Day assembly (30 mins) with author Martin Dorey, author of Kids Fight Plastic and Kids Fight Climate Change (Walker Books).