Starting school can be a positive experience for everyone. The more familiar children are with their new school or nursery, the quicker they will settle in. As parents, you are you child’s first teacher.
You can download this information in 13 different languages:
- Getting ready for school Arabic
- Getting ready for school Bengali
- Getting ready for school French
- Getting ready for school Gujarati
- Getting ready for school Kurdish
- Getting readyfor school Lithuanian
- Getting ready for school Polish
- Getting ready for school Portuguese
- Getting ready for school Punjabi
- Getting ready for school Romanian
- Getting ready for school Somali
- Getting ready for school Urdu
- Getting readyfor school Yoruba
You can help to prepare your child to start school by:
- Finding out about the school so you understand what will happen when your child starts.
- Being open to a home visit from the teacher before starting school if offered.
- Looking at the school’s website.
- Making sure you know what to do on the first day: where to go in the morning, and where to collect your child from.
More ways to help your child to get ready for school
Play games that involve taking turns and sharing. Help them to ask for what they need, if they are hungry, thirsty or tired. Teach them to dress themselves, feed themselves and use the toilet on their own. Practise the new morning routine, including getting up and dressed, and having breakfast ‘in time for school.’ Make sure your child has plenty of sleep and is ready for school on the first day.
Read books about starting school
There are lots of different books you can share about school. This can help your child feel prepared to start or return to school. Try to read and share one of these books and talk about how your child is feeling about starting school.
Books about starting school
Starting School by Janet and Allen Ahlberg
Topsy and Tim Start School by Jean and Gareth Adamson
Going to School by Anna Civardi and Stephen Cartwright
Harry and the Dinosaurs Go To School by Ian Whybrow
Come to School Too, Blue Kangaroo! by Emma Chichester Clark
I Am Too Absolutely Small For School by Lauren Child